Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting service is associated with saving and/or sharing certain web content on a web server run by a website hosting distributor. There are different categories of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's have a peek at these. In that way, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to set up a web site, e-mail accounts, or to share files with chums and partners.
- File hosting: a service provided by various providers, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting accounts often include ads by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a certain amount of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you purchase a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incorrect interpretation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allocate the tasks at hand between autonomous hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web hosting services (electronic mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a variety of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific providers offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you want to share an immense amount of images with mates or acquaintances since the solution is commonly free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to administering your emails. Some distributors provide web hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you wish to get an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to have a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip creates a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video clips and several hundred site viewers, you may have a problem with your web site hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will permit you to keep as many video files as you want without bothering about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to run a website. To a certain degree, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting forms since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and e-mail aliases, upload video files, and so on. At Lonex, for example, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that enable you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be limits depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting account may be better or worse compared with the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are purposed for particular web content solely.